View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 12:03 AM   #13
2500HD

Re: Drive line angle questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Regarding component angles, saying that my engine/trans, drive shaft or pinion should be at a certain angle is really useless info IMO. Those optimum angles are going to be different for my dropped truck, lifted truck or stock truck. I will adjust those angles to obtain the best ujoint operating angles for the vehicle.

I do not recall stating it was okay for the operating angles to be far apart. Infact, I said they should be within 1 degree. I did point out that exceeding the 3 degree recommendation is not a big deal. I have a 94 extended cab that I installed a 6/8 drop on and drove it that way for many years. Is lifted now. Has a two piece drive line so I have dealt with that as well for experience.

I also said the operating angles constantly change. Depending on suspension type such as the trailing arm and angled leaf springs on the old trucks the pinion angles down the more suspension compresses. A 4 link may be more linear depending on link bar length. Then there is wrap from torque. Which still exists even on a trailing arm truck or even a 4 link.

All is good with me, just wanted to explain where I am coming from. My last comment about overthinking it was not meant as an insult. I just believe that searching for the perfect combination of angles can be a fruitless endeavor. It is literally impossible to keep the ujoints in phase under all driving conditions.
Whatever. live with your "good enough" result. You contradict yourself mutiple times and i will not argue with generalities. i am out.

The fact the engine/trans angle should be 3 degrees or less due to oiling and fueling issues is hardly usless. You should have a 3 degree or less engine/trans angle regatdless of lifted or lowered.

You never mentioned the angles on your lifted or lowered 94. do you even know what they were. Did it vibrate? Vibrate acceptable to you? acceptable to me? I doubt it.

Recomendations, why would anyone listen to the manufactures recomendations? Richard from SoCal seems to be much smarter. Run u joints from 1 degree to 90 degrees and they should be good..... i think. ask Richard to be sure.

I agree angles constanly change but they are at max droop or max compression for milliseconds if ever. The suspension stays within 2 degrees 98% of the time for a street driven truck.
Now ZZ454/4L80E/Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4/3:73 Eaton Posi
PS PB and cold factory air
Early Classic 4.5/6
Front 20X8.5 Riddler 4.75 inch bs Pirelli 255/40/20
Rear 20X10 Riddler 5.5 inch bs Toyo 295/40/40
Rear end is original wide 6 lug converted to 5 lug

Last edited by 2500HD; 03-18-2023 at 02:04 AM. Reason: correction
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote