View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 12:27 AM   #14
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Jeep rolling off Black Bear Road

I've been over Tincup a lot and I don't think you can go anywhere off of the summit than the trail itself now. At least in a vehicle that is. I know you can hike up to the peak, but nothing else.

Mt. Antero is a trail Larry and I did 13 years ago. Summit is at 13k and most of the trail is exposed shelf switchbacks well above timberline. Oh and its two way since the trail is a up and back type.

That's my old K5 near the top crossing the scree field.

Here's an idea of the tightness of the trail itself and the elevation gain in the switchbacks alone.

Red Cone is a little different to climb and come back down. It's different as it does not go up or down via switchbacks. It goes up and over following the spine of the mountain. So the bonus is great drop off views from BOTH sides of the truck. It's ok going up but coming down from the summit is three distinct straight downhill sections that get worse as you go. The last section is the worst as it is like coming down on marbles with a lumpy uneven surface. I had my hands full so I neglected to take shots coming down.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote