View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

The items that I have been posting have not been as current as I would like for them to be. Seems like I am always trying to get caught-up on something other than my project truck. It seems like my job & other responsibilities keep cutting into my fun-time, and I may need to give them up!
With that being said, This is how I spent my Christmas day. Our family celebrated x-mas on Christmas-eve, because of everyones busy schedule, therefore I had it open for ME-time!

Christmas present to self: shaving exterior door handles!!!!

I started by taking a section from an existing door, so that it would have the correct contour and plasma-cut a a filler piece using a paper template that I had traced from my door. Then I proceeded to tack-weld it in while alternating locations & letting them cool to avoid warping...tack, wait, tack, wait.
When it was finally welded around the periphery, the welds were ground down, and a thin coat of filler was applied & block-sanded.
I also took this opportunity to fill my mirror holes in the driver's door by screwing-in some threaded rod & welding it in.
The results were incredible!
Attached Images

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote