Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Knuckles are on yesterday, installed axles spindles and backing plates today. Got all my front and rear races installed, greased all the bearings and installed the inners with the rear seal.

Mounted the rear hub and bolted up the rear caliper, Hum the bottom caliper bolt felt a little snug but continued thinking it was a little paint over spray, caliper centers nicely on the rotor, happy camper.... Until i went to spin the rotor again, the rear caliper lower bolt was actually contacting the rotor, , further inspection showed the upper caliper bolt was about 1/8" away, crap so long story short i called and will have to return the brackets so they can make another set. Per the pic's, I masked off the rotors and sprayed the casting areas and your looking at the tape and paint, leaving the masking on for now.

Moving right along, grabbed the front hub and tried to install onto my new spindles, the rear bearing won't slide over the spindle on ether side, i test fit all the bearings and seals on the old spindle so didn't even give it a second thought.... Put the rotor/hub back on my work bench, grabbed one of my old spindles and she popped right into place, sigh. I grabbed my calipers and measured about .001 difference, the newer spindle was of course bigger.

So 2 steps forward and 4 steps back again..

I'll have to inspect the new spindles a bit closer, but curious what your thoughts would be to using a strip of emery cloth and trying to polish it down a little?
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote