Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #48
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Stopped early tonight.. Go Seahawks!

Had a break in the weather early so i reassembled the driver side axle and hub assy.

Then decided to document the master cylinder and proportioning lines before i removed them from the truck. Then i gathered up the old calipers and the 2 new ones (one being incorrect) the master cylinder, Booster and headed down to Napa to swap the one wrong caliper for the correct one, per my previous post the caliper wasn't wide enough for the thick rotors that my truck runs, i also read a forum thread where this was happening but it was all suppose to be cleared up, well i got a straggler i guess..

New caliper has been prepped and painted, drying over night.

I noted a possible problem with my new Proportioning valve, it has one extra port on the front beveled surface, but it is in the package and labeled to be correct for my disk conversion, I don't know if i can just plug the port? or if i will need a different Proportioning valve, Any help? I'll call Inline tube tomorrow morning.

Took a good look at the front rubber brake hoses and and how the steel lines are attached then shot then with PB Blaster, I'm beginning to wonder if i'd be better off removing my headers to gain more room to get my fat hands into the frame rails and get the lines loose. I need to get the lines loose without messing them up because trying to change the steel lines out with the body on would be just a pita. Very concerned about dirt and 40 years of crud build up too.

I moved on to the rear rubber line, i tried to unscrew the passenger line from the rubber hose T and it wasn't gonna budge, to i decided To unhook the rubber hose at the top mount then unbolt the mount bracket from the diff and remove the whole assembly. I chucked the bracket into my vice and tried a flair nut wrench on the line again after a little PB Blaster, no go, so i got out my trusty bernzomatic torch and started heating it up and shooting PB Blaster, next thing i knew the pressure build up inside the lines blew the hose off the fitting! I checked the hose and it wasn't plugged, the steel lines were not plugged ether so i guess the brake fluid got hot enough to hit the flash point and ignite, just glad that was the end of it.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote