View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #45
joedoh

Re: Project "Bickle" 1948 1/2 ton 4.3 4l60e

youre welcome, i have a couple more pictures but the forum only allows 5 pictures per post.

starting the frame shortening. I think I like using the ext cab better because
1) they are easier to find
2) there are more of them than longbeds so you can usually get one in better shape for less (case in point, this 115k truck for cheapcheap)
3) you can make the wheelbase exactly fit the AD
4) the bed floor ALMOST (within 2.5") fits the AD bed and you get all 8 bed bolts in (only 4 with the longbed chassis)

the only thing I dont like is that on the 98+ ext cabs they use a 4 bolt flange for the driveshaft pinion. but its the same bolt pattern as the 8.8 ford 4 bolt, and lots of those rear ends exist.

I pulled the motor and trans, I like leaving everything hooked up for now so the rad stays attached. I think I am going to try something different with the rad mounting too, now that I have a fast method of duplicating ideas. two motor mounts, trans mount, fuel lines, two steering lines, I like to cut the driveshaft (need a shorter one anyway) and exhaust but still need to pull the exhaust mounts off the trans crossmember. disconnect the O2 sensors and trans connector, look for any zip ties! this one had ties on the trans cooler lines. make sure you pull the dizzy and the oil pressure sender, the chain always seems to find them!

upper control arm bushings are wasted, in addition to tie rods being loose. I will replace it all.

save the door pins you pounded out of the doors, with a couple scraps of 5/16 rubber hose you can plug the tank and pull the lines off the frame, the fuuel filter is RIGHT THERE where you will be shortening.

I disconnect the last line which is the rear brake line, keeping it a sealed system is preferable but I have to break the lines to pull the abs anyway. then just clean up the rails for anything remotely in the way of the splice.

dont worry about that big bend in the brake line, long lines like that have a LOT of give.

havent used my table yet. the laptop battery is coming from china, yes I have a power supply and even a 22ft usb but I want to be more proximal for jogging the table. besides, I dont need mounts yet anyway.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote