View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Making Keys For The ’60 -‘66 Chevy Trucks

-
This "How To" is for the guys & gals that have a door handle with a lock for their 1960-1966 Chevy truck but no key. It is pretty straight forward but I have had a couple of people ask me how to get a key cut for them. First thing you have to do is remove the handle assembly from your door (if it isn't already out). (picture 1).... To remove the lock cylinder assembly push down on the top spring cup and remove the snap ring. (picture 2) Then slide the spring assembly out making sure to keep the parts in order. (picture 3) If you will notice the spring cups are different on each end of the spring. After you have the spring assembly out slide the lock cylinder and shaft out. You don't have to worry too much about this as it will only go back in one way…. On the cast piece just below the chrome cap you should find a code number stamped. (picture 4) If your local locksmith can't cut you a key from that code number that will fit the lock I can. It should also fit the ignition lock and glove box lock if none of the locks have been changed or replaced. I can't guarantee there will be a code number on every lock, but if there isn't, the chrome cap can be removed and a key made by "reading" the wafers in the cylinder.

If you have questions PM me.....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-27-2019 at 04:33 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote