View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
1972RedNeck

Re: 427 tall deck???? I need HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971 cheburban View Post
Thanks guys, another question. Has anybody on this site put a tall deck 427 in a 67-72, I know the accessories drive is a little big, so I was wondering if it will fit? And what kind of motor mounts will I need? From our style trucks or from the big truck it's coming out of, also the bellhousing.... Is it the exact same as let's say a 6 cylinder bell? and will bolt to a an sm465/ m22 or the like? It has to have three pedals either way, should I just grab everything I can get my paws on from the big truck?
I had a 427 tall deck in a '72 K2500 w/ a 700R4 (I bought it that way). There was one reason I took it out: I couldn't get the A/C hooked up.

Actually I did have it hooked up using period correct p/s, alt, and A/C brackets. The problem was, I had to use the tall deck water pump. The block casting must have been different as when a short pickup water pump was bolted on, the water pump pulley grooves were pushed a half of a grove forward. A pulley with enough dish to offset this hit the casting. The tall deck pump must have been shorter than a short pickup pump.

Using the tall deck pump would have been fine and dandy but I couldn't hook the bottom hose up. I brazed a 2" 45* street "L" to the inlet and then screwed a 90* street "L" onto that. I got it hooked up fine but the hose was too short and it broke the radiator out.

On a side note, the factory bottom radiator hose would have worked great w/ just the 45* street "L" and solved all of my problems. I did not know this until I had the 383 sitting in the shop and just happened to hold the new hose up to engine before I took it out.

If you don't have A/C, the tall deck would be just fine. If you have A/C, I would think that having the block or water pump ports milled would work fine.

In other words, just get a 454 and be done with it.

Oh yes, there are spacers out there that allow you to run a short deck intake on a tall deck block.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote