View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #177
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Must be approaching six years on this project. Hoping to finish next year, but I have to say a lot is piling on toward the homestretch or rather more/less phase three.

Anyway, third and last batch of black zinc plating right. I'm at the mercy of black hardware on this. The batch included a handful of original bolts & bumper nuts, some unexposed original parts, replacement hardware such as for body cushions and an exhaust option, and an embarrassing amount of spare hardware I'll never use to make their $65 batch price worth while. So probably more like $130

Anyway, I get home, open the box, couldn't believe my eyes, depression sets in, deep regret

I dodged a bullet. The only original bolts are for the bed extensions behind the wheel well, and they're just as black as the surface and some see paint anyway. Worked out, but I'd never choose this finish on purpose. It's the 3rd batch they did for me, I didn't think to ask about color or sheen, and neither did they. This batch is too dark and glossy for my taste.

Interesting read various hardware finishes. In a nutshell GMs zinc phosphate is ideal for paint or powder coat, while zinc plating would have to be removed.

I've read two opinions zinc plating Vs zinc phosphate. One says zinc phosphate is more durable some reason. The second I'm more inclined to believe, which is zinc plating begins to break down first, but it's a sacrificial finish and the part will outlast an unpainted zinc phosphate part.

IMO both finishes leave lots to be desired, same with oxide. The finishes rub right off with a scrub pad, though somehow it varies, even the same batch. The bolt heads on this last batch of zinc plating stand up very well to scrub pads, yet it takes the finish off the flat washers, and even store bought yellow zinc no problem.

It's easy to see why people like stainless or?...........From what little I know, if l had my druthers they'd all be ARP quality. Still black oxide of some sort, but if anyone figured out a durable finish it would be them. It's chromoly anyway.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-08-2020 at 11:34 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote