View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #59
LEEVON

Re: 72 C-10 and my first child...is it safe?

Different truck I know, but my cousin and I were riding in my Grandpa's '77 silverado in Oklahoma circa 1981 and the door popped open as we were turning through an intersection and she tumbled out into traffic (unscathed but scared). It doesn't take much to open the door in my '71 so I always make sure and lock it when my son is riding along. Also the fit of the car seat is important, bolster it with towels, anthing to make it snug and not roll or slide (which is a problem with these vinyl bench seats). Another thing is that my tires have gotten sketchy and so I wouldn't take my kids out in the rain, just common sense talking to me.

I think it is riskier riding in these trucks but the joy outweighs the risk. I just look at it as somewhere between riding a motorcycle and riding in a new car with airbags then counter by driving safer.

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-13-2010 at 06:02 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote