View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #87
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Hey Vic... what would happen if you tucked that bumper back a few inches... might sleek it a little more without to much difficulty...
Probably more difficult than it would appear at first blush, Dan. The tips of the bumpers are already at the leading edge of the front fenders so they'd need to be shortened. Plus, they're tapered, so sectioning 2" out would entail pie cutting the ends to make them match up. Maintaining the outer curve of the valance after sectioning out 2" would be tricky. And then there's the bumper brackets. No real room to move them back that much, so you'd have to start from scratch.

I did a lot of work on the rear bumper to make it fit closer to the body. It's off of a '58, so it's close, but I had to cut up the inner bumper bracket structure off the '57 to make it fit. Didn't have a bracket for a '58, so I was forced to do the modification. Had to section a tapered piece out of the center of the rear bumper to make it tuck in closer. Lot's of work to get the angles correct. Bought the bumper 8-10 years ago and never unwrapped it. It had a nice kink in it where a PO had hooked a chain to it to either pull or be pulled. The 12 ton press, 2 lb. sledge hammer, dolly and I all got a workout.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote