View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
diggerbob

Re: Post all your Car Audio needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Sounds like you are the guy to ask. =-)

I got a "new" '81 GMC with an Alpine 7163 (and matching amp circa early 80's. Aparently it was also the factory radio in some 83/4/5 Lambo's) Sounds reasonably good, good enough that I'm not putting my two shaft denon in its place. But it naturally comes with early 80's alpine quirks;

Primarily: how do you set the station presets? Seems no matter what combination of button presses, knob push or pulls I do, keys I hold down in combination, anytime I even touch a preset it changes to whatever the default preset is (ie: newer radios, you just hold the preset down and it will set your current station to the preset. This thing, the moment you touch the preset button it changes to the preset default).

I've also been playing around with trying to set the clock... But that seems to have solved itself, I am guessing it gets a time signal off the air to set the clock automatically as I went to try and set the clock yesterday and found it was actually correct.

Alpine site stinks for tech support, seems anything pre-CD days does not exist for them anymore. Even "vintage" parts comes back with a 'not found'. I guess vintage to them is 2005...

Alex.
Alex,

To set presets on your old Alpine, tune to the station you want, press the MEM button and then the number that you want assigned to the station. I have that same deck. BTW...There is a guy in Nashville who still services these. He re-belted mine, cleaned and lubed it for around $75. Here is a useful forum for vintage audio eqmt. WWW.Tapeheads.net
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote