View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
Big Chip

Re: Help lowering an '83 C30 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Unfortunately, although the plate on the inside helps, its not enough to return the frame to its original strength which to me should be everyones goal (as strong or stronger than it originally came).

An engineer (structural engineer specifically) did the math for me on that type of notch (I based it off of my duallys parts). I figured since I used 1/4" material for the notch portion as well as 1/4" boxing plate I would be @ stock strength. Imagine my surprise when his calcs said it was less that 25% of what a factory rail was.

Do people have them installed w/o issue? Sure.
Have they towed w/o issue? Sure.
Have they been selling stuff like that for years? Yep.
Does that make it as safe as stock? Nope.

I want my modified truck safe so I don't risk killing someone in your family.
You'll get no arguments from me on the strength of the common notch. This looked better to me than most of them I see was my only point I guess. It took me a long time to wrap my head around cutting the frame at all and I really didn't want to do a notch like yours because I didn't want to have that much work into it at this time. That may change in the future but I'm not ready for that step yet.

Also, not to derail the thread but what specs are you guys using for your front end alignments? I had mine done and it isn't right but I made an appointment at the shop I usually use and didn't know if there is some guidance I can give them on it.
Big Chip is offline   Reply With Quote