View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 12:52 AM   #40
Isaiah92260

Re: Need help with my first 350 sbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Before rebuiling the entire engine, why not determine if it was simply a loose stud? You should be able to get some idea of that by pulling the spark plugs and rotating the engine. Keep an eye on the movement of the lifter in question and see how its rise on the cam compares with the others. Perhaps you can see it at the pushrod or maybe you'll have to pull the intake manifold. I suppose there is a more scientific way to measure it with some kind of micrometer or whatever, but the visual test should give you some idea. The reduced lift of a wiped out lobe may very well be noticeable with eye. We dont yet know what caused the failure and the cam may be just fine. With a little luck and a bit of time, this may still be a cheap fix. As for the coolant, i have drained mine into a cut off plastic "Homer" bucket, set it in the back of the truck with a cover, and then just dumped it right back into the radiator on more than one occasion.
I am going to pull off the manifold possible tomorrow and rocker and check out the condition of the litter. I hoping it is just the lifter, but I feel like the way the engine looked when I got it, I proabnly had a lot of miles on it, that is why I so also considering rebuilding it anyways.

Okay I absolutely going to do that procedure tomorrow and watch the movement in the rockers
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote