View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #1
66_C20

Planning Out Electrical/Wiring for a Harness

Hello Everyone,

I think I am at the point in the build of my 1966 Chevy C20 that I need to get a wiring harness ordered. After reading through various threads that I have searched, I have decided to go with American Auto Wire’s Classic Update Kit but I would like to hear from those seasoned and experienced folks out there that have been down the road before and that can make sure that I have all of my “I’s” dotted and “T’s” crossed beforehand. The truck’s intended purpose is to be a reliable and fun truck that can be driven on a regular basis with some updated components here and there while retaining as much character from the 1960’s as possible.

I’ll lay out the current and planned future modifications that might apply to wiring and electrical components for ensuring that I not only have chosen the right harness but also am not overlooking something or doing things out of order. As for current modifications for the truck, it has a 454 big block mated to a TH400 transmission. I’m running an HEI distributor, electric fan, a high-torque starter and plan to keep a mechanical fuel pump on it and on the inside it has a Western Chassis tilt column in it.

As for future plans I’ll be putting an updated and new alternator on it very soon, will be putting an A/C/ heat setup from one of the major companies like Vintage Air eventually and am considering swapping the mechanical for an electric water pump in the near future. As for the inside, I’m still debating on either buying a used dash that has gauges for temp, oil pressure, etc. and having it freshened up and adding a tach and clock to replace mine with the idiot lights or purchasing a similar product that Dakota Digital sells. I’ll also be replacing the radio with one that looks fairly factory and period correct but has updated features such as Bluetooth along with adding a few speakers. The last electrical/wiring related modification that comes to mind is my plan to replace all of the existing lights such as headlights, tail/brake lights, etc. with LED versions.

That is all that comes to mind but I’m sure I’m forgetting things which is why I’m coming to you all for help and advice. Feel free to ask questions and offer suggestions as the time I have available to work on the truck is usually pretty limited since I am stationed overseas and the truck is back home in Alabama. I’d like make sure that I have a solid and thorough plan in order to gather plenty of parts and the correct parts at one time so that when I go home, I can make the most of my time working on the truck rather than getting halted because I have to wait on parts when I don’t have much time to begin with. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.
66_C20 is offline   Reply With Quote