View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #42
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: Not Bad for Spray Paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGMC View Post
oh and about "the maaco paintjob would last longer" i wasnt expecting this to last more than a few months. this summer i should have the means to give her a real paint job, and i think im going to go with a deep metallic purple, so it looks black at night, but in the light you can tell its purple.
HotGMC... I don't think anyone was trying to single you out. The spray can paint job thing has been beaten more times than little boy blue's drum.

The "pros" that have been so-called are just trying to give you a nickels worth of free advice. I know that myself formost, I have learned alot from trial and error. I have made plenty of mistakes in paint and body work and when I suggest something, it is in an effort to help someone else aviod my mistakes. Vintagesteel is only trying to do the same thing. Personally, I think that any amount of money you can spend on spray can stuff can be put away for decent equipment/decent paint so that perhaps you might learn a trade out of it. Might be something you really like and want to continue doing...

If someone were to start a thread and say that they assembled their truck using only pliers and a screwdriver, and you saw the pics and saw that all the bolts were chewed up and rounded, would you be picking on him if you suggested a cheap socket and ratchet set? I think all of this should be put back into perspective.

You can put oil instead of water in your radiator...if you saw someone doing that, wouldn't you say something? Or what if you knew of a better tool for the job than the one they are using. Would you say something? There is no substitute for the right tool for the job. Ask any mechanic... how is painting cars any different?

Just something to think about....

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 04-19-2009 at 02:55 PM.