View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #34
MARKDTN

Re: Battery Cable terminations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
I'm locating mine between the frame rails boxed in on the crossmember just behind the rear axle. Why? To help with weight transfer to plant the 30 x 14" slicks. It's a racing mod relocating 50+ pounds where it can lower the CG and help plant the rear end at launch. Here's the kit I'm using and pay close attention to the use of a Ford style remote starter solenoid. This keeps the starter wire dead until you energize it at start up. (It's a safety mod!) Use the frame for ground. This mod also allows you to install the required emergency power cut off switch at the rear of the vehicle closer to the battery. Read this...
http://madelectrical.com/catalog/tm-1.shtml
Don't disagree but 2 things:
1-"Ford" solenoid is fine for a starter, but is not continuous rated. The kit doesn't use it that way, but somebody might try to use one to disconnect all power downstream. There are continuous rated solenoids available if somebody wants to do that.
2-I know there are a lot of people with remote batteries that rely on the frame for ground. I come from the heavy truck industry. They (and heavy equipment too) mostly pull a full size ground from battery to starter. Is it necessary? Maybe not, but starting performance is maximized. I would at least run a same size or 1 size smaller dedicated ground from battery to starter or block in addition to a frame ground. Ground wires are some of the most overlooked wires in automotive.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote