View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
scottofksu

Re: Travis' Tribute Truck - 65 Chevy C-10 Camper Special

We'll see if this works... I tried attaching a picture of the truck as it was in my Garage when I finally brought it up to Nebraska. Below that is, essentially, how it is sitting today. I've decided to restore the truck in 1/3's, starting with the front 1/3. To this end, I've pulled all sheet metal from the firewall forward. I've also pulled the top end off of the engine to check on it's condition... The engines current condition is somewhat of a mixed bag, cylinder walls are clean, pistons show inconsistent carbon deposits, and one piston has what appears to be detonation damage. As I see it, I have two options now:

1) Pull the short-block out, do a budget rebuild (new bearings, new pistons, new rings, new gaskets, dip the block, and replace the cam, heads, and intake with the one I want to use in the final build)/

2) Just start saving up the $8k I'm going to need for the engine and trans and worry more about the sheet metal and front suspension.

I'm leaning towards #2 as I don't want to have to spend money twice (e.g., new pistons twice, machine work twice, et cetera). Conversely, I have another 4-bolt block (already cleaned) that I could do #2 on and could do #1 on the engine that is in the truck now.

What say all of you?
Attached Images

scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote