View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Justin G

LQ9 Build for 1972 Blazer

Hey everyone. I'm looking for suggestions and input on an LQ9 build I'm about to tackle.

A little history: I traded a 2003 Honda Foreman last year straight across for a 1972 Blazer. Although the body is rough and the 350 that was in it smoked...... I got a Blazer and it cost me a 4-wheeler! Although I've taken some criticism from family and friends over the past year as it sat in my garage.....My end goal has always been to build an LS Powered 1972 Blazer. I made some progress toward this goal this weekend when I got an LS engine delivered to my door for free! Family deals are great.

Engine:
2009 LQ9 w/ 144,000 miles out of a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
6.0 iron block, L92 Heads (823 Castings)
Engine was a take out from one of my father's company trucks. They took in to be looked at after having some trouble with the front spark plug on the passenger side. Due to advice of mechanic and time constraints he decided to swap in a 40,000 mile pull out instead of working on this engine. So although engine needs head work/new head and all accessories. I won't complain about free.

Discovery:
After getting heads off, we found the problem area. It looks like the front plug on the passenger side broke and maybe stripped out the cylinder head. If it is not stripped, it is at least broke and will need some work done or the head will need replaced. Check out these pictures and see what you guys think. I plan on taking to a machinist soon.

Future Plans:
Now that I found out the damage is just on the head and everything looks ok with the block and piston, I think I am going to leave the bottom end stock except maybe swapping in a cam to get some more HP out of this thing.....I've been researching and there is a ton out there on building up 6.0 but I wanted to get opinions on building a 6.0 for a Blazer from you guys. A 450-500 HP engine with a stock bottom end seems to be achievable from everything I read.

So any suggestions on vendors, cam specs, head work (porting, etc)? Suggestions and questions are welcome.
Attached Images

Justin G is offline   Reply With Quote