View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
bennylava

Re: A couple of questions about the 99-06's

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
You never stated what options or lack of options these trucks you're looking at have? Are you looking at a crew cab truck, bose stereo, if so if you want a decent sound with the aftermarket deck you want to bypass the factory amp. I have a GPS double din in my 03 and am contemplating going back to a single, the maps are out of date, costs a lot to update them when my phone is pretty up to date 99% of the time. Plus the brightness of the screen gets really annoying on long drives at night. Another thing, the 01-02 trucks can only fit a 1.5 din without cutting up the trim or getting trim from an 03 and up truck.

Not 100% if all the trucks went drum rear, but I'm more familiar with the HD chassis, same interior and such though. Which ever way you go, check the brake lines, they always rust. There's stainless pre bent kits for about 100 bucks or AC delco makes a coated pre bent set that is a whole lot easier to work with and will last 20+ years.
As for options, I'd like tan cloth and power factory power windows. I guess I'm looking for a 4 door short bed truck but I think I'd settle for an extended cab since I don't need 4 doors for anything. Do these trucks have the rear doors that open, on the "extended cab" versions? I can't remember when they actually started doing that.

As for the GPS head unit, what I've found is that most of them have a button somewhere or some kind of option that will shut the screen off. While still leaving it on and functioning. It bothers me at night too so I've always just hit that button on the front. Had one in a toyota car for 5 years, and thus far I don't think I've needed an update for it. Although maybe I will at some point.

Beyond that I'd definitely want cruise control, and other things that you'd think that most of these trucks just came with. But I don't know all the options so I'm not sure. What was the luxury model? I'll probably just buy that and swap in cloth eventually if I have to. The rest would all just be thorough sound deadening and a decent aftermarket sound system with a single flat subwoofer, like one of those JL TW5's or something like that.

Not sure exactly what engine mods would for sure increase power while not costing any fuel mileage. Other than headers and exhaust.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote