View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
GtoBrian

1972 C10 Points Ignition Issue.

72 C10 with a 350/350. Problem that started recently, when driving down the road or even just stopped at a light engine would die, no spitting or sputtering just shut off as if you just turned the key off. I have replaced the cap rotor points, coil plugs and wires. This problem was there before parts were replaced. I hooked up my volt meter, when starting it would either show 12 volts or zero, guess depending if points were open or closed? then would start and watch and watch anywhere from 8.2-9.0 or higher when given throttle. After awhile of running in gear with either lights on or turn signal on would watch as the voltage would drop in the 7.5 range then drop to 6.0 and stall. Could this be the resistance wire going bad? It will usually start back up but a few times it would start and die as soon as the key was released from start position , located the wire in my harness at the fuse block but it is not white cloth appears to be a faded pink but runs across the top of the firewall and connects to the 2 yellow wires, 1 going to the coil the other to the R on the solenoid. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
GtoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote