View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #58
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Re: How do you afford it?

I'm an electronics tech at Ball State University in Muncie Indiana. I specialize in hardwired fire alarm system installation/repair/maintenance. My shop also takes care of all the CCTV surveillance systems, card access, audio systems, security alarms, and fiber optic cable infrastructure for University Computing Services. We have the #1 fiber optic network in the country, and just keep winning awards for innovation and technology. Our state closed the fiscal year with a 2 billion dollar surplus, a feat no surrounding state can achieve.

To make a long story short, I'm a state employee. I make just short of $25 an hour. I grossed almost $6K just in overtime pay last year. My wife is also an employee of the University, but makes a little less than me. Our mortgage is about $40K on a 15 year note with a home valued at over $100K. We owe $10K on a personal loan we built the garage with, but other than that we have everything we need for our children and us to survive.

My dad once told me that I would never be where I wanted to be until I was 40, no matter how hard I worked, or wished. Here I am, 1 year and 10 months away, and I think I'm exactly where I need to be.

All our vehicles are paid for, and that helps tremendously....

Go to college, and work at one if you can...
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote