View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: looking for info on quality audio w/o braking bank

Getting great quality with your plans on a $1,400 budget is going to be hard if you ask me, but I'm considering the console and materials/wiring into this budget. If you're just considering the budget as speaker/amp/head unit cost then you're more in the ball park.

I'd still simplify your plans though:

1. Great head unit. I prefer the Kenwood Excelon line or a good Alpine. (Plan on spending $200-$300 here.)
2. Go with a good set of components in the kick panel area and build the kicks yourself so you can position the speakers to point head level between the two front seats. I picked up the Polk Audio MM6501 for my ride. I haven't hooked them up, but I've heard the non-component versions and was very pleased with the sound. ($200)
3. Only put 1 pair of 6x9's in the rear body...Polk makes a 6x9 to match the MM6501's. Putting an extra set above as well as another mid in the dash would be unnecessary and just take up some of that tight budget. I feel it's better to get better quality speakers than more of lesser quality speakers. ($140)
4. Subs...I don't really have a recommendation, but I like the RE Audio subs. No matter what you choose, I would think you'd be in the $200-$300 range for a pair of 10" subs that are decent quality.
5. Amps. Here's where you can cut a cost and run a single 5 channel amp. I've never run one personally, but I plan to buy one for my blazer. I haven't decided on one yet, but they seem to range in the $400-$500 range. The key to amp purchases is to keep the RMS watts at or below the speaker rating. I'm leaning towards an Alpine, or even the Polk since it'll match the speakers.

I'm no pro or audiophile...but I do read a lot. I picked the speakers I linked for my own ride hoping for a happy medium of best quality without spending a ridiculous amount of $ for a each set of speakers. From all I've read and heard, 1 thing that's for sure is that everyone has their own opinion on which speakers are best for the $. Going off of what I listed, you're already at about $1,500 with just the equipment..so you can see it adds up fast.

You can go and get cheaper speakers, but I would still keep it to the basics of:
-Only components in the front kicks (no other speakers up front)
-1 pair of 6x9s in the rear body
-2 subs in the rear
-Either 1- 5 channel amp, or 2 amps 1 for the highs and 1 for the subs