View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #121
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

What a fine ride to work this morning. Cold start was easy. Just to see if it'd work I did not kick the gas pedal or even pull the choke. Simply turned the key. A few revolutions of the starter and the engine fired right off and almost immediatly went to a much smoother idle than previously with the old points dizzy. I spect this is a lil bit HEI and a lil bit timed better.

Power and responsiveness all the way to work, 38 miles one way, was just as it was last evening on the test ride...very nice. Power comes on smoother with no bobbles or skips in the engine. I note the truck seems to pull the hills in third a bit stronger...there was a noticable roll back in power with the old points dizzy. That roll back seems to be gone now.

Hot idle at the stops was the most noticeable change. Decent before with some roll and vibration but now, butter smooth. At the first light or so, I goosed the gas cause I wasn't sure if the engine was still running. Made a gas stop midway and the hot restart was as easy as the cold start. The old Rochester B carb had puked a bit while tanking up but a kick in the gas pedal cleared it out and right back to a smooth bobble free idle.

I think I'll leave the initial timeing at 10 degrees BTDC for a few hundred miles. Get the carb on and a good tune before I start bumping up the static advance. Mr. Langdon says run it up to 18 degrees...hard to figure it'll go that far but theres no reason not to walk the advance up and down a bit to see what the engine and my driving style likes.

All this is pretty impressive given I'm still running a very tired and over rich Rochester B that pukes about every 2nd shut down. But Weber DGV should arrive this evening and maybe by this weekend I'll be down to final tuneing and layin in tubes for the dual pot master upgrade.