View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #317
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Shock mounts look great Vic. I did a different version where you re-drill higher and farther back then trim the existing upper mounts but this version does get a much better angle. I also made some lower mounts. Did you change the lower mounts too?
No, the shocks cleared the axle and the angle was a lot better than what I started with so I left it as is. I'm hoping the Sensatrac shocks Chip recommends provide the additional control to allow me to skip relocating the lowers.

Quote:
you happen to notice if your upper mount holes in the crossmember were at different locations? On mine the driver side upper mount was .75" closer to the frame rail than the passenger side. I was scratching my head for a while as to why on one side the shock fell into place and the other was way off. I ended up drilling holes on one side to make them an equal distance from the frame rail on each side. I wondered if GM did this on purpose considering the way the rearend would twist on acceleration but maybe I was just thinking too hard.
You know, when I lined up the holes in the new brackets, I felt the edge of the bracket on the driver side "bump" one of the frame reinforcing plates which it didn't on the passenger side. I used 1.75" square tube instead of 2" and it didn't overlap, so I didn't think anything about it and assembled it in the existing holes. After reading your comments, Rick and I went to look at it and he said, "Holy crap, I didn't even notice that!" Rick (nuclear engineer brother-in-law) is now on a mission to figure out the "why". We flopped open the factory assembly manual to the frame measurement pages and will see if it sheds any light on the situation. One of the first things we did was use string to check the rear track and it was off by about an inch which was weird. When I set the panhard bar, I used the distance from the frame rails to the tires as my gauge. That is apparently not the hot tip. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
- I believe the guy who made the upper shock mount drawing was "lakeroadster". He is no longer a member here but is on c10trucksdotcom... I believe he is an engineer. You should check out his thread "C notch based on strength" I will see if I can find it. Oh and I fixed the LINK and linked the drawing.
Thanks for the assist on the link, Dan! My URL was apparently pointing to a local image instead of the one stored on the server. I'm really gonna like this internet thing when I learn how to use it.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote