Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #510
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

The wiring saga continues.....

Well I got a lot done, and I could start my truck if I wanted to, but I decided to wait until I get all systems completely wired first. I want to test everything at first start. I also ran into a issue halfway through. I didn't want to grab some self taping screws and mount my underdash Dakota boxes, relays, etc to the firewall/cowl area. So I remembered seeing another member make a plate and I followed suit.

I fabbed up a simple plate. On the backside I used a piece of 1" channel. The channel is welded to the back and provides plenty of stability for the plate. It's only bolted onto the firewall by the single upper bolt on the brake pedal assembly. I also used 16awg plate so it's pretty sturdy. Let's hope it doesn't move around! I drilled a whole in the plate to access the bolt in the channel. This way it's flush mounted and the plate is further towards the dash giving it a little more room to mount things.

Because of the plugs on the DD control box being so long at the plug, I didn't want to bend them at a 90 so I ended up mounting the DD box at an angle. It allows all the cables to be easily accessible and the wires are free and not bound up so it worked out better than expected. But I still don't like it at an angle. OCD..... Whatever.

I will be mounting my vintage air circuit breaker, my brake switch relay, and my OBDII connector on the plate. The OBDII will have a splitter connected for the DD control box and a remote mount OBDII plug under the dash for easy access.

Second pic you can see the recessed bolt.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote