View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
Overdriven

Re: Modern spec spindles

I can see how someone might think geometry is being changed, POL says this about the Western Chassis spindle included in their disc kit “Late model 1973-87 ball joints and tie rod ends are utilized improving front end geometry”. I’m sure others may have something similar in their description. Ball joints, I believe the difference is in the size and taper of the hole in the spindle, no geometry change and 73-87 ball joints fit earlier a-arms. Tie rods, the length of the adjustment sleeve was changed so the length of the threaded portion of the inner and outer tie rods also changed. The center (drag?) link length also changed but all this doesn’t effect geometry, maybe it changes steering feel slightly but I haven’t seen any mention of it.

As has been said aftermarket a-arms are available that do change geometry, just remember 73-87 parts don’t equal geometry change. RideTech, QA1, Porterbuilt are examples of arms that do improve geometry. There’s also a “caster mod” that can be done to the lower a-arm shaft and it’s mounting position that’s relatively simple for big gains in caster with stock geometry arms. Beyond that, if you want to improve handling and feel look into a quick ratio steering box, front sway bar if you don’t already have one and maybe splurge on some nice shocks.