View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 02:11 PM   #476
Keith Seymore

Re: The build date project

Having said that, I'll take a swing at these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post
Some questions for both of you:
1) The sequence number is in on the top left of the build sheet, above the date, correct?
Normally it's specifically labeled, but yes.

Quote:
2) At what point is the build sheet printed with the serial number? It seems like the serial number would have to be included fairly early in the process or otherwise perhaps printed on the build sheet after some assembly has been completed?
Early in the process, like before the build is started. All of the build sheets and manifests are printed and distributed a day or so before the build starts.

Just to be clear: to me "serial number" = "sequential portion of VIN"

Quote:
3) Pretend I have two build sheets. One is sequence number 17647 (w/ s/n 2Z120845) and the other is sequence number 17699 (w/ imaginary s/n 2Z120897) and they both show a 11/12/71 build date. I think you are saying that is 100% safe to assume that sequence numbers in between those two were built on 11/12/71.
Sequence number = Yes. By definition. Because even if you have re-ordered the VIN/Serial numbers the new build sequence numbers are still going to count up one by one

Quote:
However, at some point along the way, one of the sequence numbers could have been assigned a serial number outside the range of 2Z120845 and 2Z120897, or at least in a non-consecutive manner. Is that correct?
Yes. Although in this case it is the VIN/serial number that exists and is assigned a new sequence number (not the other way round).

Quote:
4) For 100 consecutive sequence numbers, how many of those trucks are likely to have consecutive serial numbers?
Depends on the plant (because of the accumulators and buffers, and lack thereof).

Fremont - 99%
Flint - 60-80%

Quote:
Maybe I'll start trying to include sequence numbers. Any other sources for the sequence number besides the build sheet? Firewall? SPID?
Firewall - yes. Any place where components were assembled off line and conveyed in sequence to the main line: Front end sheetmetal, radiator support, grille, axles, tire/wheels, seats, etc. But - it will typically be the last two or three digits of the sequence number, in a form of shorthand. Not the full six digits of the full sequence number.

SPID - no. The sequence number does not appear on the SPID

K

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-04-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote