View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #151
cwcarpenter98

Re: '66 Budget friendly driver

You have a sweet truck!
I just got done swapping in a 3 speed overdrive trans, and I replaced the tail shaft seal while it was out. When I looked inside the trans, I saw the bearing/bushing thing that the driveshaft slips in to. It looked like you could remove it without pulling the tailshaft housing off the transmission. I think you should be able to replace it without dropping the transmission, but I'm not 100% sure because I haven't replaced mine.
I had a 3 speed, long tail shaft trans in mine before swapping to the overdrive version, and I must say that it is stupid easy to get in and out of the truck. It was light enough for me to pull it out and put it back in without using a jack.
If you are talking about the mainshaft bearing, than I would go ahead and pull the transmission.

The QA1 system looks great, but this college student can't afford that lol. I was wondering how your old system rode in comparison to stock. I am considering a 2/3 drop for mine since I need to replace the original coil springs anyways

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote