View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #87
theastronaut

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

Thanks guys!

Been working on the engine. Once I finished porting and cc'ing the heads and went to mount them I found out that the upper row of head studs were too short. The '65 only head I'm using use matching one year only upper heads studs which took a couple of weeks to find. I finally got a set last Friday and I'm done with the longblock now.

The engine was missing the thermostat (most are) so I pulled one out of my parts stash and cleaned it up.

I used a solid rocker shaft kit from CB Performance to get rid of the old wavy washers and clips that retained and located the rockers. Had to shim each rocker to .005" side to side clearance, which required lapping some of the rocker stands and end caps to end up at the final tolerence. Way more work than slapping together stock parts but it'll last longer and work better. I also used later 1600 1.1:1 ratio rockers instead of the original 1:1 rockers.

I also found out that the pistons didn't clear the webs in the block at bdc. I had to grind away a bit of the skirt to gain enough clearance. Once I had ground enough away that the engine would make a full revolution I used clay to check the final clearance.

Last edited by theastronaut; 06-01-2017 at 10:07 PM.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote