View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
jocko

Re: Near future plans...for retirement

If you're looking for a basket case, those aren't hard to find, now or in the future - so no need to stockpile projects - that's my 2 cents. I think the real question should be what do YOU want to complete? Is the goal to continually work on one because you enjoy that part of it and don't care to drive it - or work on one because you enjoy it, but with the goal of cruising the country with it? If more the latter, I'd get the one project you really want, and spend the $ gathering the parts now - rather than filling the garage with multiple projects. As for basket case(s), I'd personally rather start with one solid project that costs as much as three basket cases than just stockpile three basket cases. Having said all that - while my mindset is to focus on "the" one project truck, I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for that next one, or the one I wished I'd found in the first place - there's always time to find that next project, and no rush. If you have the room to store a project-in-waiting, I'd just get the one project you know you want, start getting its parts readied, and keep that one corner of the barn clear to store that gotta-have project "next" that you will certainly stumble onto as you move through the first. I wouldn't, personally, start off thinking "I gotta have 2-3 projects lying around because that future basket case might cost more" - I'd only do that if I stumbled across three rare diamonds in the rough on the same day. But otherwise - just one, and enjoy it, while keeping an eye on the possible next - that way there's no perceived pressure to buy one NOW, you've got one to tinker on and enjoy. I guess the lesson I've somewhat taught myself, not very well, I might add - is that the most fun is in the garage or on the road, not on the interweb searching for the next project. Go and and have fun with what you've got and don't sweat what the right number of projects to have lying around might be. There will ALWAYS be other ones out there when the time comes. Again, if you do find the type that only comes around every once in a blue moon, then grab it and stick it in that empty corner just in case
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote