Thread: Stripping?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
hotrodrookie

Re: Stripping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The material used may reflect in the cost too plus the place I am planning on taking my cab to only lets one guy do the sheet metal body parts. The flunkies sandblast the heavy duty stuff with multiple coats of paint and what not but only one experienced guy does the sheet metal parts there.
For sure, the place that quoted me was pretty well established and really emphasized the blasting technique and media they used would be a cold blast that would cause zero warpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
You can buy a product from Eastwood, I believe it's call Under-gone hat you spray it over the under coating and let it work, them scape it off. For the paint, you can use aircraft stripper or use stripping discs on a grinder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Any preference on stripping disks? 80 grit DA paper seems to take forever, flap wheels on a grinder seem to run hot, http://www.eastwood.com/poly-x-paint...cup-style.html I've heard a lot of talk about these disks but have never used them. How long do they hold up? How well do they work on removing layers of paint down to bare steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
Hot Rod Rookie, not sure where you live in Sac. but here in Shingle Springs TNT powercoating and abrasive blasting they did all the parts for the Suburban at about half that cost... Owner's name is Lance give him a call and see what he can do for you.. tell him Wayne told you about him.. if you get the Cruisin' News he's in there..530 677-6360
We had tar all over the bottom and fender wells of the suburban and like was said you can take it off with a little heat, we used a heat gun and it worked great and didn't catch anything on fire...it doesn't take much heat and will help in cutting down the cost of blasting..
Thanks for the heads up on the blasting contact. Do you know what kind of media he uses? My concern would be the use of something too aggressive that would cause warpage in the sheet metal. I think I will get the O/A torch out when it comes time to strip the coating. I better get some chemical cartridges for the respirator though.
hotrodrookie is offline   Reply With Quote