View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

'72 c10 front suspension question

Hey everyone, I am experiencing a lot of bouncing, vibration through floorboard, vibration in steering wheel, as I'm driving down the road. It happens at all speeds, but seems worse at lower speeds. On the highway it seems to smooth out but is still there. I understand there is a thousand possibilities for what I'm experiencing. But I will provide as much info as possible up front to help narrow down the guessing game. I'm running original stock suspension components i.e.: stock upper and lower control arms, stock height coil springs, alignment was performed about 2 years at the same time that I replaced all control arm shaft assemblies,tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm, wheel bearings and shocks. All parts moog brand, SDK bearings, KYB gasajustshocks, shock reinforcing brackets, I added a stock sway bar from another 72 c20 with stock brackets and energy suspension bushings. Tires have some mileage on them but were recently rotated running 32 psi front and back.

Today i jacked the front end up,put it on jack stands, and removed front tires. Everything looks good, fresh grease in joints. Except control arm shaft bushings. They do not take any grease. As in I physically cannot pump any grease into the zerk fittings. I almost bent grease gun handle trying to pump grease into the zerks for the control arm bushings both upper and lower and on both sides.been that way since i replaced them about 2 years ago.
So, i have front end of truck supported on jack stands at the lower control arm shafts. I used my floor jack to compress the suspension on each side at the lower spring cup. The drivers side compresses around 1"-2" before the truck is lifted off of the jack stand on that side. So I did the same for the passenger side. There is almost no compression of the suspension before the truck is lifted off of the jack stand on that side of the truck.

What would cause or inhibit the suspension from compressing and absorbing road forces? I'm leaning towards control arm shaft bushings being too tight or lack of grease and seizing up. Any and all info that is relevant is appreciated. I'm currently able to access my truck and any points on it as of this posting until about 10 p.m. PST. So, I will be checking my phone for alerts to this thread periodically. And hope I can achieve somethig today to remedy my situation. I'm all ears.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote