Thread: Reality Check
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Re: Reality Check

TXFirefighter wrote a great post not too long ago about this subject. I hate to hack up his words, but the essence of his comment was: don't get sucked into something huge that you probably won't finish. There are guys and trucks on this site that make your jaw drop...they rip them apart, replace everything that wears out, buy the best gear, powder coat their frames, install 600+ HP LSx engines, and get those paint jobs that make your eyes bleed if you look at them in the sunshine. Most of us, though, either drive our trucks every day or have way too many other responsibilities to do this level of work. So, as a really nice compromise, do what the other board members are saying: be patient! The right truck will come along, when you're not expecting it most likely - in a field, in a parking lot, your neighbors father-in-law lost his job, etc. Then, drive it and upgrade parts as you go.

I bought my C20 about 18 months ago, 4 children, only 1 income for most of that time, it's my daily driver. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was in excellent driver-shape, and I've done a few things as time & money permit. I enjoy my truck, and although it's not the bagged/stroked/hugger orange truck I ultimately envision, I enjoy myself.

Don't get sucked into doing a frame off, 30,40,50k job if you don't have the resources. It'll sit under the carport rotting away until you eventually sell off the pieces and lose all your investment.

Be patient, do it in pieces, and drive it! Or, if you have the resources (garage, money, understanding wife, tools), buy a bone-stock straight, rust free Arizona truck, strip it to bare metal, and spend 3 years and 40 grand building the perfect ride! I hope to someday...maybe when the kids leave the house.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote