View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #160
joedoh

Re: Project "Bickle" 1948 1/2 ton 4.3 4l60e

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Yes that was quite a snafu. I remember laughing about it with my granddad who was a WWII Naval Aviation Vet. He had some of the best flying stories!
oh man, what a time that must have been, when flying was all about the large piston aircraft. the movie Fury sure got the airplanes flyovers just right for a mediocre tank movie.

oh by the way, my new shop is literally across the road from the jabara approach light array, parallel to the runway.

popped the bed on before it got hot. its hard to see in the resizing that the forum does (by the way WHY does the forum resize pictures to 640x480?! is it 1995 again?) but the center fender bolt is dead on the center of the axle, and the bed is only 3/8" away from the cab at the center.

eagle eyed readers will remember I shortened the frame 6.5", the extra 0.5 to close the bed gap. I may never go back to longbed donors.

I have to trim the front panel and bend it down, the shortbed s10 bed floor is about 3" shorter than the AD shortbed.

once I have that measurement I will lock it away too.

it got pretty hot in the driveway so I took a break to shorten the bench seat height. I always MEAN to do this, and never have. on this one the steering column is 0.25" lower than previous trucks (thickness of the bracket) so it had to be done. let me tell you, it makes a huge difference. I used 2" tape to mark my cuts, then welded it back together. that overbite you see is in the back so I just patched it in for strength and called it good.

mrs joedoh always complains about the seat height when the trucks are done so I had her test this one. shes very shy but I snapped a pic when she wasnt looking, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, right?

she said it was light years better than any previous truck, so now I can send it out to be recovered. still deciding between black upholstery on the seat or matching the dash champagne mist. guess I will decide when I see how close he can get...

mocked up the running boards to set the bed depth and tacked the floor in. woop woop!

tomorrow I will pull it all apart and weld things up. I need a driveshaft still. I got some ribbon cable to extend the gauges. things are going well!
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote