View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #58
sparkydog

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Very cool!

Some friendly advice? In case you weren't planning on doing this, I'd set the cab in place (out of the way) and fully mount the bed the way you want it (wheel well centered, bed height, etc...). That way, you don't accidentally mount the cab "too low" and have to raise the bed floor, that is, if you didn't want to do that. Just offering up an idea. It's looking great
Yesterday I made all the necessary measurements and then jumped on the computer and sketched this up. There are three different types of cross rib under the bed of the IH. Each has a different height. I did the layout as if I was notching the two taller ribs down to the height of the shortest one @ 1.25". Also allowed for a .25 rubber spacer between the bed and the top of the frame rail.

When I do all this stack-up, it says that "on paper" the lip of the bed would end up .6" lower than the corner of the rocker panel (not the bottom of the flange lip which I don't consider the visual bottom of the cab). What that means in English is if I want to be "perfect" I should drop the IH cab body .6" (call it .75") around the GMC floorpan.

Now dropping the body is extra work compared with just laying the remnants of the IH floor onto the GM floor in a simple lap joint. Not too much extra but extra none the less. The other choice is to just spacer the IH bed .6" higher over the frame and call it good.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions. If it had been a bigger difference, like 1 or 2 inches then I would do it for sure because I want a low ride stance and will plan to use an aftermarket lowering kit. But .6" is right at the ragged edge of being worth it.
Attached Images

Last edited by sparkydog; 03-28-2010 at 11:06 AM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote