View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Pic Request: Rally wheels on a dropped truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey531 View Post
I was thinking of painting mine darker, they look great on your truck PanelDeland. What brand of paint was it ?
It was Krylon Charcoal(or dark grey) Mettalic from Wally world with a matching Krylon clear.I spent a couple hours cleaning with a wire wheel,scotch brite and foam sanding block.Then I went to town at the carwash with a degreaser and paid close attention to the seams where the center meets the hoop.I let them dry a day in the garage and an hour or so of sun to bring them to temp.I also set the can of paint in warm water for about 5 min before spraying.I used three coats on each wheel and then waited a couple days before spraying the clear.The directions on the can usually read either to recoat within x amount of time or wait at least 24 hours.
The prep is the key to getting the paint to stay.Degreasing 2-3 times is about the least I would try.Making sure they are dry and at the minimum temp for the paint is also important.
There's no magic to it just lots of grunt work prepping the wheels and some time.I do recommend lighter coats that just cover well since they seem to dry well and don't run.Don't get in a hurry to get the paint on all at once.
All of this is info I learned from hanging out here on the BB.Many don't like rattle can paint and if you don't take the same care with it that you would with a pro spray system then you will get crappy results.I have rattle canned these wheels and the interior of my truck.Both came out well and have lasted well.They wont win any shows but they sure look better than before.And to be honest you really can't tell that the wheels were rattle canned.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote