View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can/Do It All" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
That bender is nice and by the way your welds on your frame are not rusted they just have been cured at least that's what a old timer told me back in the day about metal.
No offense to the old timers, but welding is one of those things where a lot of people have their weird made up theories/wives' tales/myths about stuff and they are usually a bunch of BS. It's just surface rust on those welds, I finished doing that spring cross member this past summer and the frame stays outside, so it's seen plenty of rain to get surface rust. While the whole "curing" thing does have some merit, the surface rust has nothing to do with it. The "cured" state is more often referred to with cast iron, which does cure (Actually "age" is the proper term for that), and can change shape over time as it does. That's why some engine builders will go through the trouble of baking new(er) engine blocks and heads prior to machining operations, to artificially age them which helps remove stresses built up from the whole casting process, so they will be machining a block/head that is less likely to change shape when it gets heat cycled during real world use. There is a lot more geeky technical metallurgy behind all of that and I don't know all of it and don't want to make anyone too bored by going on about it.