View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #49
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Did you slide the axle extensions into the housing? I have been thinking about a front HO72, but not sure how to go about it. I will be following closely.

Yes, the C's were first pressed onto the extensions, then the C/extension assemblies were frozen so they would easily slide into the housing. I'm still kicking myself for not getting pictures of that whole process because its kind of hard to explain all of it with just words now. Something to note though, the extensions are also plug welded (4 plug welds per side) in a staggered pattern around the tube, I've already ground them flush with the housing so its hard to tell, and technically they are a press fit, I just used the awesome thermal expansion/contraction properties of steel to my advantage to make putting everything together easy, so they are a thermal interference fit (press fit at room temp).

Also something else I would like to add in is the importance of using a setup bar. I don't own a setup bar simply because I may only ever use it once or twice, however I borrowed one from a friend and used some old bearings as half assed alignment pucks to do a quick check to make sure the housing was straight, and it is straight, but as this post shows, one may not always be so lucky... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=41
Really though any good straight piece of heavy wall DOM tube would probably work as a setup bar, I just think that you should use something you can trust as being very straight/true to check it, just to be sure before putting a bunch of time into building an axle that might be bent.

From an earlier post, this is what the extension looks like in 2D CAD, the larger diameter part being where the inner C is pressed on, the smaller diameter being what is actually inside of the Eaton housing tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GMCKid View Post