Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #151
May70

Re: 292 Questions

If I am still having an issues when I get everything back together I may consider replacing the filter sock. At least the sending unit is easy to get too. Only thing that would make it easier if my seat would fold over

When I shake my sending unit float I can hear gas inside. I put it in a bucket and it would float but not sure if it would hold up the arm. I went through the forums and read that one year Jeep sending unit float fits the factory Chevy truck sending unit. I actually found out its many Jeep models (1941-1986 MB, GPW, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ3B, CJ5, M38, M38A1, CJ7, CJ8) Advance Auto had one under a 1986 cj7 that will be here for $12 shipped to the store. Its made by Omix-Ada, Float Fuel Sender part #17729.01 (they couldn't look it up under the number, only could find it under vehicle info). All plastic. It'll be here on Monday.

I mentioned before my fuel gauge has never worked for me. I went out to checked the sending unit was reading the correct resistance when the arm was manipulated and it was. In doing that I realized that the sending unit wasn't grounded with a separate wire like I saw some pictures of here. I am not sure if it needs a ground wire from the actual top of the sender unit for the stock tank. I figured it would have grounded through the tank bolting to the cab, I guess not. Simple enough fix, I dont have a male end or anything to connect a wire to so I may put a hole through one of the tabs or solder on a male connector of sorts. At least thats what I am hoping is the problem, the circuit diagram calls for the sending unit to be grounded. Diagnostic thread by VetteVet http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640615

Ill probably put the tank in Wednesday. Got in the new filler neck gasket from Wes at classic heartbeat, this one is very good quality and plenty of flex. Once the plastic float comes in I should be good to go come Monday. A place across the river from me sells non ethanol gas. I think my plan will be to run that in the truck from now out.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote