View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 11:49 PM   #8
1project2many

Re: 58 GMC Suburban NAPCO and Chevrolet 3166

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
I have a GMC Suburban with factory power steering, and it is a direct drive power steering box, not a power assist cylinder. It's more similar to the CPP power steering box, and nothing like the Chevy power steering.
Thanks! I have owned a truck with the system you describe. It had a large pulley on the pump. The pump and the box had a large S cast into the body with the word Safety. The pressure line used a 7/16"-20 fitting on IIRC 5/16" tubing which never mated correctly to a late model Saginaw power steering system with 3/8" tubing.

Is your truck 1/2 or 3/4 ton? Mine came from a 3/4 ton truck and I wonder if that made a difference. I can see that the frame of this 1/2 ton model looked taller where the box was mounted.

Quote:
You absolutely don't want to rebuild one and get the adjustment of or it is an all day fight to get it right. I've done about three in my life an the first one wanted to make turns one way or the other on it's own when I got it back together and it took a lot of effort to get it adjusted right.
I've done several Vette systems. Never start those with your arms through the steering wheel. The wheel will kick hard to one side on startup and it hurts.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote