View Single Post
Old 08-08-2003, 09:50 AM   #13
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

The paint will smoke off in intital startup with the headers. I put Heddmans on my truck over 2 years ago, and for the first hour or so of run-time with the headers on, they smoked a little bit. This is because the paint on the headers is cureing by the heat. It should turn a nice flat-black color, and it will be much tougher and a little more rust-resistant.

Also...my starter is now starting to not want to turn over when the truck is hot (it bogs down a little bit...then turns right over), but it has now had 2 years and over 20k miles of header heat subjected to it. I will proably just throw a heat shield on the next starter i put in it, and it should be OK.

You will like those headers once you get the clutch issue sorted out. I put them on mine and they made the truck sound about twice as good going through the same exhaust system, and they made a little difference in power. As long as you route your plug wires good, and keep the flange bolts tight to avoid blowing gaskets, you will like them alot.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote