View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #60
BigMike

Re: Pic Thread: Customized Hot Wheels,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Thanks for the details. So, basically, this is making tampos?
Tampos are kind of like a rubber stamp that stamps the various ink colors of the design onto the body. The graphics are a series of different parts of the artwork being stamped with specific colors, once all the stamps are complete you see the whole picture...kind of the same theory as silk screen printing tee-shirts. Here is a great tutorial Tampo Machine

The Alps printer uses a cassette type cartridge that contains a thin dry film on them that the printer transfers onto the decal paper as the artwork dictates (like ribbon typewriters). Once the graphics are complete you cut out the decal, put it in warm water and then set it on the body. The decal paper uses a transparent film that the artwork is printed on that releases from the back of the paper when introduced to warm water. Here is a video I found on YouTube that shows the Alps printer doing it's thing. Alps printer.

I hope you made sense of my ramblings, not the best at transferring the information from my head to paper. I understand what the look you're trying to get with you're customs. I was making a set of upper and lower trim for the 69-72's but got busy and never finished it. Also started on the 67-68 trim as well, but got sidetracked again. Maybe one day I'll get it finished.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote