View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #102
Last_Paladin

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
No! this is the first time iv used this kinda bracket, and the first full floater iv worked with. Because its designed differently than others the manufacture has offered this explanation on there ad.

" we no longer using DOM tube spacers and now taking up the space w/ 4 small angles that have been laser cut for a precise fit and welded to your brackets. What does this mean? Well for one it means no more having to use a BFH to try and get a bent bracket to line up, only to have your pads wear at a quick uneven pace. Would the pads not lining up correctly causing bad brake performance? The answer is yes and in the long run more money from your pocket. I have never heard of bolt failure as some claim can happen. Do not be fooled by gimmicks, multiply hole locations for different pinion angles mean nothing. The only thing that matters is that the bleeder needs to be on the upside, so that the brakes can be bled. Increasing pinion angles only means that the bleeder will be higher, which is what you want anyhow! Disc Brake brackets that have been formed (bent in a z - shape) will fail under stress! Forming steel of any kind creates cracks (sometimes very tiny) at the bend areas! This could be very dangerous! The tensile strength on one grade 8 1/2 inch diameter fine thread bolt is 24,000 lbs. This is multiplied by four per bracket. Your rear brakes that contribute 20% of your overall braking on the vehicle will not shear off 96,000 lbs of tensile strength!"

once again That was from there ads. all I can say is I found there product to be exactly what they said and i was pleased with the quality of their work.

as far as the hitch I dont believe it is bolted to the frame in the center. Id have to check to be positive but i dont think it is. being welded all the way around, I never gave it a thought. I see what your saying about the back and forth motion a trailer would apply (unlike the lift gate). Prolly would be a good idea to puts some bolts in there.
That would be correct (bolt information from the ad) if it were holding two solid pieces of metal together (like the factory set up), in tension. He is using the wrong value. We're talking about shear load(s)

The spec on a 1/2 bolt by itself is more like 940lbs of shear resistance before it breaks. You can take one, thread it all the way in and break it with a breaker bar applying shock loads like a panic stop.

Data from here:
Notice in this, how the bolt is completely supported, look around page 27 for shear control, the bolt is complete enveloped. They also talk about using washers to provide greater clamping force via the tensile strength of the bolt:

http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf

and

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts..._strength.html

and

http://www.derose.net/steve/resource...lts.html#shear

Now that angle iron does provide some friction, but I have to wonder why GM (and any other axle or auto manufacturer -the master penny pincher) do complete coverage on all of their brake set ups (sort of like the picture I posted, found on the web).

Again, they probably work. He probably has no failures. I'd hate for you to you be his first.

Last edited by Last_Paladin; 02-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Last_Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote