Thread: 62 diesel
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #19
BigSix

Re: 62 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
so why is this guy having a problem with his crossmember under the b/housing?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686847
they are quite a bit smaller than a 453 detroit
ron
My bellhousing is a lot bigger than a SM420 and pushed back farther and lower to move weight toward the center. When putting in a non-native drivetrain you really don't want all that weight jackhammering the front. I think you learned that lesson the hard way with that detroit installation! But you live and learn.

The best way to do it is to try to move things for ideal weight distribution. So ideally you would put things into the firewall and down instead of hanging forward - unfortunately that put my giant bellhousing into the shackle crossmember. If the original poster doesn't use a big overdrive transmission and mounts the engine/trans higher up he shouldn't run into my issue.

I recommend the 4BT - it fits well and I believe the weight is approximately the same as or a little less than the stock GMC V6.

The 6BT is a big engine - I have one of those too. I don't know if that would fit in the 60-66 bay.

With all this said - don't expect a quick swap that is straightforward. There is a good amount of fabrication, tinkering, and most of all you will get the bug to go through the engine. I went all the way down to taking out the crank...

Good luck and if you have any 4BT questions we have a few people who have them and may know the answer.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote