View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 12:40 AM   #19
pritch

Re: Sometimes you expect the worst.

I don't think I've ever seen one that one person in line ahead of me in our local office in the Courthouse in Coalville. One of the joys of living in a small town. Oh, there's a big fancy new office over to Park City, complete with long lines and surly employees but no one from here would ever go there if they didn't absolutely have to. Like the immortal Yogi Berra said (about a trendy new restaurant) "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy!"

Most times, though, since I work down in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake, I end up going to one of offices down there. I went to the Jiffy Lube near our shop this time and paid the extra ten bucks (X2-my car and truck both expire end of May). I should have thrown my typical fit about it, but took the high road this time, virus and all. and it was the middle of June after all, so I needed it done.

First time I learned about the extra ten bucks, it hadn't been too long since Utah allowed this kind of thing. I was at the tire store getting some new skins and the guy asked if I wanted to go ahead and get my new sticker since it was time. I quizzed him about it and he finally admitted that it cost more for the privilege. I looked him in the eye and said "Our leaders insist that privatization of Gov't services lead to lower prices. You don't suppose they'd be lying to us, do you?"
He started sputtering on about how much time I'd save yada yada yada.
I said "I have waited behind 5 other customers, and you have taken 3 phone calls during that time. I have never waited behind more than one person ahead of me at the Courthouse over to Coalville. Explain again about the time saving?"

Spoiler Alert: He could not.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote