View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
welkerbr

Re: If youve had questions about integral vs. non-integral head inline 6's w/pics

Thanks for the update guys. Below are a few pictures of the head that's pulled off the engine now. Casting # 3895052. One of the pictures shows what I happened during a previous rebuild circa 10-15 years ago. It looks like the casting was drilled out to accept spring pins to secure the bolts in palce. Naturally this created a stress concentration, which has now lead to the casting fracturing right at this point.

Here's a bit of background on the rebuild as well which is relevant to the story. This is the start of a nostalgic project because my father and I worked on this when I was in college. The truck has really been sitting since then and has just been rusting away. Now I've got a son and want to have the same experience with him that my father and I had together. Given my job, I'm about 700 miles away from Dad and the truck, so our communication is via phone and emailed pictures with help from Mom because Dad thinks that mice should be killed and are not useful for anything.

The current plan is to get the truck "running" again with the help of a local mechanic that Dad trusts, and then transport it out to me, so I can make some loger term decisions about what's next. I would like to do this ASAP, certainly before the snow flies, as this process is creating a bit of stress with Mom and Dad. The sooner the better, but I also think that Dad may be having some trouble letting go.

Back to the head question...I'm not sure of the purpose of these casting posts and the bolts where the damage is.
1) What are they there to secure?
2) What is the issue with using the head as-is?
3) Is there a cross reference table showing what other heads can be used as a substitute?
4) Any other recommendations about places to call to look for a head? I've called the places below and so far no-one has this exact casting number.

Mabbco - east Texas - 3895054 casting in stock
Langdon's stovebolt - Utica Michigan - 331184 in stock
Machie World - Long Island NY - nothing in stock
Clearwater cylinder head - Clearwater Florida - 3985084 in stock
Cylinder heads international - Dallas Texas - none in stock
Engine Parts Warehouse - waiting to hear back
Oscaro Parts - San Jose California - none in stock
National Cylinder heads - might have one in stock (need to send pictures)
Attached Images

welkerbr is offline   Reply With Quote