View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #954
CC69Rat

Re: 1969 C10 SWB - Big Block project

Just checking in, Pop and I have been working through a bit of a problem with the 68. 2-3 miles on a test drive and all 4 rotors were smoking they were so hot. Bad brake smell, etc. It wasn't a pretty sight. The truck felt like it was loading up on timing, cracking and popping a bit (more on this in a sec) and wouldn't shift to third. It was turning 4k+ rpm going maybe 20mph.

We found we had the clevis and pin on the pedal a little too far out. Pop dropped the steering column back down and we adjusted the pin. When you let your foot all the way off the brake it should have 1/2 or so "pull off" so it pulls the push rod off the MC. Ours was holding pressure (quite a bit actually) on the pedal. Basically we were driving with our foot on the brakes.

When we adjusted it back off, man the truck is like night and day difference. It will idle and just slow roll in gear doing that nasty choppy idle. It sounds really good. It's a different truck without the brakes on.

We have an HEI in this truck. What are your thoughts on running both mechanical and vacuum advance? Should we block one, maybe go to an MSD, etc? The cam is pretty big. It's the 60203 (I think?) Voodoo cam. Would you swap the distributor? On idle it's nice.. slow acceleration it's nice but it concerns me at the 4k rpm range it seems to have been breaking up a little. Was that just because it was working extra hard with the brakes on?

Something else to consider I have 2.5" tailpipe. The mufflers are Magnaflow, 4" x 14" long tube type. They're not very big at all. Could the cracking be coming from too much back pressure? Are the mufflers really big enough for the motor? Dad and I are swapping them out for some bigger ovals I guess we'll see. I just wanted to get some input on it.

Thanks

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote