View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
SilverMiner

Re: Burban Tailgate - how to raise window with dead motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw View Post
Ok So I actually have a motor coming, they are NLA and it was a pain to source one.

So now I'm for real going to have to remove the tailgate window and motor.

I have see where the rear spring is a problem and that you need to hold the regulator in place while you remove the motor.

Can anyone confirm?

Here's vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqQq9Oj1eA

Note that burbans and blazers are different.
Have you solved this problem?

If not, removing the bolts which hold the sash (and therefore the window itself) to the regulator is possible by using a shorty 3/8 wrench. Once the sash and window are separate from the regulator it can either be fully removed or partially pulled out enough to access the regulator and motor. You don't have to worry about the spring under tension until you attempt to remove the motor. Edited to ad - once the window is out of the way, your options are vastly improved. You can remove the regulator and motor as a unit as long as you get the handle hardware out of the way and then properly restrain the spring before removing the motor.

Depending upon the condition of the rubber in the tailgate, you may not want to fully remove the window with the metal sash attached. It is not necessary as long as you have means to support the window with the tailgate down. Even with brand new rubber when I removed the window from my 1980 Burb with sash attached it caused minor damage. I can only imagine how the 40 year old rubber might have suffered. Edited to ad - Thinking about it more, fully removing the window may be required in order to get the regulator out with the motor attached. Can't quite remember.

Last edited by SilverMiner; 08-29-2020 at 09:23 PM.
SilverMiner is offline   Reply With Quote