View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #14
GMJimmy

Re: Exhaust decision, opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I used Dynamat Xtreme on a 55 Chevy car many years ago. It was very expensive but worked well. When I did my 82 C10 a couple years ago I bought a product called Noico on Amazon. I think it may be slightly thinner that Dynamat, but IMO it works just as well and costs 1/3 as much! It's also available in black. Be sure to use their roller to install it, and some HVAC foil tape at the edges and seams.

Also, no matter what the vendors say, these butyl/foil sound deadening products don't do much to keep exhaust pipe heat from coming through the floor. For that you will need true thermal insulation. I like a product made by Bonded Logic called "Ultra Touch". It is recycled denim strands woven together and backed by foil on one or two sides. Inexpensive and works great! Part numbers for a 4x6 roll are:

#11406 -- single side foil
#12406 -- double side foil

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTou...1406/100656748

I didn't find the double sided version anywhere except at Sachse Rod Shop. Page 102 in their catalog.
http://sachserodshop.com/web_interior.pdf

You can probably find it if you spend more time searching than I did, possibly in Canada.
I don't have a heat issue, my A/C works well and it DOES get hot here so I pulled the interior out and put Dynamat everywhere. It was a pain working around the A/C and computer and wiring but it's done. I live in a Northern climate now so I won't be driving it for a couple of months. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
You didn't say if you were running and overdrive transmission or not. It is the very best method to quite down these old trucks. If it's not making the noise to begin with it's easy to quite it down.
Yeah a 4L60E so about 2100 rpm at 70 mph. Also electric fans but still too noisy.

Last edited by GMJimmy; 01-25-2021 at 11:32 AM.
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote